Christopher T. Karounos is a Litigator and Trial Attorney specializing in the areas of commercial law, civil litigation, chancery, personal injury litigation, as well as the highly focused area of New Jersey Liquor Law. Christopher T Karounos is also a trained mediator, listed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey on its Roster of Mediators.
Mr. Karounos represents corporate and individual clients in a variety of matters including; contract rights, consumer fraud claims, products liability, class action, insurance coverage disputes, closely held corporate litigation, civil rights, and Plaintiff’s personal injury matters.
Mr. Karounos’ history as an owner and operator of several successful liquor licensed restaurants, diners, and catering facilities, coupled with his representation of parties to both sides of a dispute, gives him unique experience and insight that enables him to represent his clients and develop strategies tailored to best meet their individual needs.
Chris has experience representing a variety of on-premise clients including restaurants, diners, bars, nightclubs, catering facilities and hotels.
He frequently represents both claimants and defendants in litigation arising out of commercial disputes, contractor and insurance claims, breaches of contracts, corporate and individual landlord/tenant disputes, fraud and consumer fraud based claims, as well as personal injury plaintiffs.
In addition to his extensive litigation experience, Christopher’s New Jersey Liquor Law practice focuses on providing cost-effective and comprehensive legal solutions for various tiers of the alcoholic beverage industry. He brings the unique perspective of a license holder to his counseling of consumption and distribution liquor license clients.
His services include:
- Obtaining new state and/or local retail alcoholic beverage licenses;
- Providing retail license holders with compliance and trade guidance;
- Representation and advice regarding ABC violations and enforcement actions;
- Handling person-to-person and place-to-place liquor license transfers and premises
- expansions and changes in existing retail liquor licenses for individuals, corporations,
- limited liability companies and other entity based businesses.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Karounos continued his post-graduate legal education through a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Menelaos W. Toskos, J.S.C. in the New Jersey Superior Court, Bergen County. During law school he also served in an internship with the Federal Public Defenders Office, Newark and in a litigation externship with a large New Jersey litigation firm as recipient of the 2005 Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (TANJ) Scholarship. Mr. Karounos is a Part Time Lecturer for Rutgers School of Law – Newark and regularly presents seminars and coaches students on trial advocacy and trial presentation skills.
Rutgers University, Rutgers College
Bachelor of Arts, Biology, 1992
Rutgers University School of Law
Juris Doctor, 2006 with a Graduate
Certificate in Conflict Resolution
Examples of litigation and liquor license driven matters Christopher has handled of behalf
of his clients include:
- Represented a national medical devices company owner in a complex separation
- and commercial litigation matter. Plaintiff dismissed the matter with prejudice after
- Mr. Karounos exposed its lack of merit through the deposition process.
- Prosecuted consumer class action claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection
- Act and state consumer fraud laws.
- Successfully defended regional construction company in construction litigation suit.
- Litigated closely held corporate disputes protecting minority shareholders from
- oppression by their majority counterparts.
- Prosecuted numerous product liability, corporate note/collections and personal
- injury lawsuits in state court.
- Regularly appear in State and Federal Court for motion practice in furtherance of
- clients’ active commercial, civil and personal injury matters.
- Obtained numerous settlements for insurance restoration and flood remediation
- companies in coverage and collections matters.
- Litigated favorable resolution for chancery matter regarding a large tract of prime
- Route 4 & 17 intersection, Paramus, N.J. property involved in a significant shareholder dispute.
- Successfully reinstated restaurant liquor license, expired over three years, due to
- exceptional circumstances surrounding the non-renewal and issuance of a new
- Borough license, bringing the total number of licenses above the local population
- Negotiated release and client’s subsequent purchase of liquor license held by
- Bankruptcy Trustee while Bennigan’s national bankruptcy remained open and
- Prepared and closed numerous liquor license purchases and transfers to and from
- various corporate and individual liquor licenses.
- Represented large bar/dance club in license enforcement actions.
- Counseled numerous plenary retail consumption license holders in ABC violation
- Conduct compliance inspections and troubleshooting for license holders.
Professional And Community Involvement
- Current Professional Organization Membership
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bergen County (N.J.) Bar Association
- New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ)
- President of the Hellenic American Bar Association of New Jersey
- Part Time Lecturer – Rutgers Law, Newark – Trial Advocacy and Trial Presentation
- Former Barrister in the Brennan-Vanderbilt American Inn of Court
- Barrister in the Justice Morris Pashman American Inn of Court
- Rutgers Law School – Newark, Nathan Baker Mock Trial Competition Judge
- Rutgers Law School – Newark, Cohn Appellate Moot Court Competition Judge
- Vincent J. Appruzzese Mock Trial Competition judge
- Community Service and Organizations
- Volunteer Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Past President, Crew Chief and
- Member, Leonia Volunteer Ambulance Corps (1986 – 2001)
- American Heart Association (AHA) CPR Instructor
- Rutgers Public Interest Law Forum (PILF) auctioneer and contributor
- Burn Advocates of New Jersey
Awards And Recognition
- President, Hellenic American Bar Association (HABA)Myron Harkavy Prize Winner – Outstanding Trial Attorney of Graduating Class – 2006
- 2005 Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (TANJ) Scholar
- Head Coach, Rutgers Law School-Newark, National Mock Trial Team
- Young Lawyer Volunteer of the Year, Burned Advocates Network Burned VeteransRally (2007)
- Judge, National Collegiate Mock Trial Semi-Finals, Princeton University (2006)
- Regional Semi-Finalist – Texas Young Lawyers NTC (2005 & 2006)
- Nathan Baker Mock Trial Finalist and Best Oralist (2004 & 2005)
Articles And Presentations
- Part Time Lecturer, Rutgers Law School – Newark; Trial Advocacy and Trial
- Presentation Skills for National Mock Trial Team (November 2011 – February 2012)
- Speaker, Trial Procedures and Skills Seminar, Rutgers Law School (October, 2012)
- Speaker, Trial Presentation and Trial Mechanics, Rutgers Law School (October, 2011)
- Lecturer, Opening Statements and Closing Arguments, Rutgers Law (October, 2010)
- Lecturer, Direct and Cross Examination Skills, Rutgers Law (October, 2009)
- Speaker, Trial Presentation Skills and Mechanics, Rutgers Moot Court Board Seminar
- (October 2008)
- Speaker, Trial Presentation Skills and Use of Evidence, Rutgers Law (October 2007)
- Speaker, Trial Skills Workshop, Rutgers Moot Court Board (October 2006)